Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ready for dinner?

Oh my! Shame on me for going so long inbetween postings. Well, I certainly have been busy. In my Hobby Builders Supply order, I received three books on working with clay, in miniature. Two of the books are by Barbara Meyer, a fantastic artisan in the creation of miniature foods and flowers. I am sure she does other fabulous work, but my books authored by her are for food and flowers. She gives a recipe for bread dough, not the kind used in making real life bread, but for use in making miniature items. She also gives very detailed instructions on her creations. She has worked many years perfecting her art. I was a bit sceptical on the bread dough but I gave it a try. It is a wonderful mixture that, at least for me, is easier to work with than polymer clay. Also, her dough is air drying so there is no worries of over baking as with the polymer clays. You can color the dough using acrylic paint mixed into it. It is also wonderful to just paint after it is dry. I have used permanent markers on it too.



In the picture, the shrimp, aspargus and the lettuce under the shrimp were all made from her recipe. The oranges, bananas, bread, muffins and cake were made with polymer clay. I received a pasta machine this past week-end for my polymer clays. It is a great machine. I don't think it would work well with the bread dough as I think it would stick too much to the rollers. I am still experimenting with the pasta machine and some day I hope to be able to create some of the wonderful mini foods I have seen.

No comments: